Sunday, October 10, 2010

Culling?

"Culling is the process of removing animals from a group based on specific criteria. This is done in order to either reinforce certain desirable characteristics or to remove certain undesirable characteristics from the group"...source Wikipedia.
Technically, I suppose Cuda should have been culled.  To say she should have been euthanized whether humanely or not because she was undesirable boggles my mind.  I was advised that inbred dogs exhibit the following traits in extra tight inbreeding:
HOCKED SPINDLY LEGS, UNDERBITE...
Inbreeding is a standard for breeders to make bigger, better, perfect dogs.  It is widely used by all breeders- "back yard" and "professional".These breeders who inbreed and cross breed feel culling is a mandatory need in order to breed genetically superior dogs.  This means that the "mistakes" are just part of the game here and should be immediately destroyed as they serve no purpose.
I never knew about this.  I'm so happy someone scooped Cuda up and that she somehow landed in my lap.  Cuda was one of the lucky ones.  She is in no pain and has no physical problems now but who knows what's to come, I admit...when that times comes, then she will be humanely dealt with...not axed out because she didn't come out right at the start!

No comments:

Post a Comment